Swain County father, Michael Shannon, has filed a civil lawsuit alleging that the civil rights of him, his daughter, and his father have been violated by key personnel in local and state government.
The lawsuit filed August 15, 2011 in the Swain County North Carolina Superior Court, names Michael Shannon, his father, Scott Shannon and his Daughter, Sierra Shannon as the Plaintiff’s and names the following as some of the Defendant’s.
- Michael Bonfoey, District Attorney, Swain County, North Carolina
- Lanier Cansler, Secretary of the North Carolina Division of Health and Human Services. (click the link to find more stories of Lanier Cansler on this blog)
- Patrick Betancourt, Director of Child Protective Services, North Carolina. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Tammy Cagle, Director of the Swain County Department of Social Services (Tammy Cagle was fired for insubordination and conduct unbecoming of a state employee detrimental to state service during an investigation into the death of 15 month old Aubrey Kina-Marie Littlejohn)
- Jerry Smith, Interim Director of the Swain County Department of Social Services
- Justin Green, counsel to the Swain County Department of Social Services
- Ellen Thomas-Pullen, Child Welfare Services Consultant with the North Carolina Division of Health and Human Services
- Aaron Ammons, Officer of the North Carolina Highway Patrol.
- Swain County Commissioners
- Swain County Department of Social Services Board
The lawsuit alleges, among other things, accounts of government corruption so all encompassing that I believe an SBI investigation into this matter is desperately warranted.
This corruption includes, but is not limited to:
- Failure to obey a custody order,
- Failure to obey a judges order to pick up a child,
- Wrongful arrest,
- Malicious prosecution,
- Placing a child in a dangerous environment
- Allowing a child to be abused and neglected
- Failure to obey statutory law
- Failure to protect
- Child abduction
- illegal and unethical practices
“Smith then told the investigators that he was instructed to falsify the records by his supervisor after Aubrey died to show that he followed up with a call to the hospital.
He said he was later called to a meeting with his supervisor, Candice Lassiter, other agency officials and DSS Director Tammy Cagle.
They questioned him about his investigation at the Powell home. Cagle, according to the court papers, told Smith “we have to get everything in order and everything straight.”
The director, Tammy Cagle who is listed as a defendant is Shannon’s lawsuit, was fired for insubordination and conduct unbecoming of a state employee detrimental to state service, for her apparent involvement in the falsification of records in Aubrey’s case.
It is abundantly apparent that Swain County DSS has broken laws in the case of Aubrey Littlejohn and in an attempt to cover their asses they falsified records and lied. It is also abundantly apparent to me that these people were completely comfortable in their illegal behavior, so comfortable in fact, that they even held a meeting and discussed how to get “everything in order and everything straight”, or what I refer to as “a document forging party”.
The chances that the Aubrey Littlejohn case is the first and only case in which the Swain County DSS has exhibited this type of illegal and unethical behavior in, is in my opinion, slim to none. I believe, based on the Swain County DSS’s proven behavior, that the case of Michael, Scott and Sierra Shannon should be looked at by unbiased, appropriate law enforcement.
I have heard the 911 call placed by Scott Shannon when he was being assaulted by Shannon’s mother, I have read some of the court papers and I have talked with Scott Shannon…there is something really fishy occurring in their case, and I believe with the illegal practices that have been brought to light in Swain County, that the Attorney General and the SBI owe a duty to investigate not only the Shannon case, but any other case that has been handled by the Swain County DSS.
If you or anyone you know has been a victim of the Swain County Department of Social Services Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about Sierra’s case, please visit Michael Shannon’s site at the link below.
Sierra Shannon, 4 years old
A Victim of Child Abuse by
The Swain County, North Carolina
Department of Social Services
in Bryson City, North Carolina
We desperately need your help to save Sierra from the bureaucrats and criminals in the department of Social Services in North Carolina. A civil case was filed in the Superior Court of Swain County North Carolina on August 15, 2011 on her behalf by her father, Michael Shannon and her grandfather, Scott Shannon. The details of the case are below, as well as a link to a copy of the Civil Complaint. If you read these items you will discover a horror story that is almost beyond belief. 28 people are being sued in this case, and all have some responsibility for the abuse that Sierra has suffered since August 5, 2010.
Please read these materials and then take action to do what you can to help save Sierra from continuing abuse by these criminals, uncaring bureaucrats, and others who have allowed her to be abused and illegally taken her from her loving father. I know there is a lot of material to go through, but unless you know the entire story and all of the facts, you can’t understand the full horror of what has been done to my family. If you consider yourself a caring person, please read all of it. The links in the text will open in a new browser window so that you can always conveniently return to this page.